Post Game (Of Thrones) Thoughts: S7, E2 "Stormborn"
(DISCLAIMER: I have no clue whatsoever on how to spell [or remember] character names, but I will forego my due diligence of journalistic integrity by researching the proper spelling in favor of humor and self-mockery. Seriously, screw off GRRM for making these names too close to real ones
UPDATE: I'm a little more familiarized with some names, but some probably means like three, so get ready for this song and dance of ice and fire eff ups):
Folks wanted Danaeyres? Well we sure got her Dragonstoning it up: gameplanning with Tyrion, questioning Varys' loyalty and getting quite the "don't trust clever people" pep talk from Oleanna (Dominic: 2 / Name Misspellings: 2). We had Jorah (my boy) potentially on the road to recovery thanks to Sammy (everybody mustn't get stone[man]ed), Arya briefly reunites with her direwolf and chubby baker boy, Grey Worm gets it on with fear in his heart and Theon bails when a game of Battleship gets a little out of hand. I'll give it a solid "A" grade and that's with only two episodes in.
Let's pick the greyscale off this puppy shall we?:
- Pretty passionate retort by Varys there, I mean if he's gonna give the go-ahead to being burned alive, maybe Dany can trust him? I think that's what people who get betrayed say. His inflection seems slimy, but hey, why not?
- So we got Varys and the Red Witch kicking it on Dany's turf now? One or both is gonna thwart her efforts mightily. Melasandre may be Dany's trump card with protecting her dragons. Don't ask me how, but she does have a thing for fire so....
- These old fogies at the Citadel are a bunch of harsh pricks. "If you were a commoner we'd kick you out immediately, but since you are royalty, we'll give you, like, a day to hit the bricks." If I was Jorah, I'd hug that old bastard right then and there, complete with Eskimo kiss.
- I didn't know Arya didn't know that Jon was King Of The North now - again, really tough to keep track of things when you haven't seen anything for a solid year and just jump in cold. Either way, probably a good idea to get a little Stark pow-wow happening.
- I was extremely concerned for the horse during Arya's direwolf reunion. He was startled, I was startled, I know animals dying in GoT happens just as often as people do, but the less the better. Let's just focus on people deaths, can we? And goooo direwolves.
- Hey, good for Grey Worm. These two haven't gotten a lot of focus since a couple seasons ago, but their (sorta) love scene helped me get little reinvested in what happens to both of them...it's not because they got naked, goodness no.
- Well, there goes my hopes for that John Mayer, snake ladies scene. Two-thirds of their bodies are wonderlands no more, but now creepy rave guy Euro. fish food.
- Euron sure is a man of the death theatrics. No wonder his slim fit jacket is kind of sequined - guy boarded ship like he was Steven Tyler in a Pirates of The Caribbean cameo, but..
- Theon really couldn't take a poke at fighting the piss out of him? Sure, getting shell shock off seeing some dude getting his face carved off can give you the heebie jeebies, and being tormented by some psycho who put your johnson in a box will throw your head through a bit of a loop, but c'mon, it's your sib - who you bailed on in favor of dog biscuits . Not really living up to the whole "protector" aspect of the job description.
Now who's in the mood for some pot pie? #WinterIsHere